Grounding the Fat Galaxy: Our Fat n' Proud Mission Statement

This blog is to document our journey down the path of body acceptance, no matter how our bodies may change. We hope to share that journey to help other people who may be struggling and to get advice from people who have been there. We hope to make this experience interactive, so please comment or send us things! We will always have awesome links at the side of our page. Please check those out!

Monday, January 6, 2014

Fat Myth Monday: Fat People Are Fat Because They’re Lazy

Today we are attempting a new kind of post.  We asked you, our readers, to give us some ideas for Fat Myth Monday, but responses were very limited.  Limited to one.  So, our myth to bust today is Fat People Are Fat Because They're Lazy.

So obviously this is a very broad topic, and a very prevalent stereotype towards fat people. We've come up with the following list to give focus to the major myths we'd like to bust on this topic:

1.    Not all fat people become fat because of laziness.

From The WW: I have a serious issue with this part of the Fat People Are Lazy Myth.  I have not ever been consistently lazy.  Sure, I have my lazy days like everyone else, but because I'm fat, people often make the assumption that lazy days are a regular part of my lifestyle.  When I gained the most weight I have ever gained, I was in my first two years of college.  I lived with my grandparents, worked in a sweltering factory, went to school, and was active in many extra-curriculars.  I often did not have the luxury of a lazy day.

From the BB: Like the WW, I gained the most weight during a very active part of my life. Post-high school, with an active job in a kitchen and college classes all year-round, I gained significant weight. I was always active--going to class, running around at work, shopping, and I even went to the gym for college credit at this time. I was NOT lazy, but I still got fatter. The real problem with this myth is that the WW and myself have to justify ourselves to try to disprove it, just like other fat people are asked to justify their laziness as well. If I want to have a lazy day, I shouldn't have to feel guilty about it--I work my ass off plenty! Yet, I have often felt that I have had to work extra hard at my job to prove to people watching that just because I am a fat employee, does not mean I am a lazy employee. Having to justify myself is perhaps one of the most irritating and challenging obstacles associated with this myth.

2.    When they're fat, not all fat people are lazy.

From The WW: In my next two years of college, I did something I hadn't done for a long time: I maintained my weight.  I fluctuated within the same fifteen-pound range, which for fat people is a pretty normal fluctuation.  I was fatter than I had ever been before, but I still was not lazy.  I was still working and going to school and I had a gym membership (but let's be honest, that wasn't used much - see the next number for details).  I lived in a third-floor apartment and had a dog, so my days were spent going up and down the four flights of stairs to take my dog out, move my car, or haul laundry to and from the car.  I was constantly active, even if I was not routinely exercising.

From the BB: During my fattest phase, also during the latter two years of college, I was definitely NOT LAZY, again. I was very busy with class, being a resident assistant, and participating in extra-curriculars. If I laid on the couch and fantasized about using the Harry Potter Accio spell to make my remote come to me from across the room, it had nothing to do with my weight so much as it had to do with being comfy and warm and not wanting to get up! I am consistently fat, but NOT consistently lazy.

Actually, this was not created by us.  We're not alone!

3.    Even with routine exercise, fat people may not experience significant weight loss.

From the WW: Like I said before, I did try out routine exercise for a while.  My partner and I got a gym membership, and before he injured himself at work, we worked out together.  Working out with another person makes working out much easier for a fatty. In a gym setting, we worry about other people watching us sweat and work hard.  I was constantly paranoid about people taking my picture and making fun of me.  Another thing about routine exercise is that people often see fat people working out and think that they are working out to lose weight.  This is also not true.  Not all of us feel the need to be healthy to fit society's rigid beauty standards…some of just want to be healthy!  Even with my routine exercise, I stayed within my same fluctuation range.

From the BB: I had a very similar experience to the WW. With routine exercise in college I did not have success with weight loss either. I will admit that during that time I was wanting to lose weight and getting very frustrated with the results. I was always paranoid that people were staring at me while I exercised, taking note of how long I used each machine. I wondered if they thought to themselves: "Why doesn't she run faster? She could use the exercise." "Like that treadmill is going to make a difference." "She needs some different workout clothes...I don't want to see that!" The fact that I felt this insecure and really hated working out anyway made me stop going to the gym once I got the college credits for it. I would rather take my dog for a walk, because she won't judge me and I can go at my own speed. I exercise when I want to for my own reasons, usually health related or because I feel like going for a walk--not so that I can lose weight or look a certain way for other people.


Ultimately, fat people are constantly expected to justify why they aren't lazy, which is exactly what we've done for you in disproving this myth.  Fat people should not have to explain why they're not lazy to other people for several reasons, the most important being that it is no one else's business.  Justifying our exercise habits or lack thereof makes us feel uncomfortable, less worthy, and reduced to our body size.

No comments:

Post a Comment