Grounding the Fat Galaxy: Our Fat n' Proud Mission Statement

This blog is to document our journey down the path of body acceptance, no matter how our bodies may change. We hope to share that journey to help other people who may be struggling and to get advice from people who have been there. We hope to make this experience interactive, so please comment or send us things! We will always have awesome links at the side of our page. Please check those out!

Monday, February 3, 2014

Fat Myth Monday Reader Submission: Assumptions about Fat Pregnancies

Hello Lovely Readers! Today we have a submission that will bust myths about fat, pregnant women.

Thank you to Brittany Kibler for the submission! We love it! 

(Be sure to check out Brittany's blog as well, under the name buffalopennies@gmail.com)


I am fat. I have known this fact most of my life, and nine days out of ten, I am

completely comfortable with being fat. That being said however, there are moments in life that

make being fat very uncomfortable, and frankly, down right irritating--like clothes shopping, or

the constant feeling that people are judging you when you eat in public. I have dealt with these

experiences all of my life, and have found my own ways of coping with them, but I now find

myself learning a whole new side of fat life. I am seven months pregnant, and in the past three

months, I have found myself more uncomfortable and irritated than ever before.


For example, when people who know that I am pregnant stare at my stomach and say

things like “Are you showing yet? It’s hard to tell” or “Are you carrying high or low? I can’t really

tell” OR even worse, before I was showing, when people would put their hand on my stomach

and swear that they felt the baby. I have never wanted to slap some one’s hand so much in my

life. Even that however, was not nearly as irritating as when one of my own family members

recently looked right at my stomach and said “You might go through this without anyone ever

being able to tell that you are pregnant.”


I think I have a pretty accurate idea of what my body looks like, and trust me I know how

it has changed since the beginning of this pregnancy. Yes, I am showing and carrying high these

days. Others may look at my belly and think “fat,” I look at my belly and see how my child is

growing and moving. Before pregnancy, I made it a goal to get up everyday and not care what

others see me as (a hard thing to manage), and that hasn’t changed with pregnancy (although

sometimes all the hormones makes it even harder to manage).


It never ceases to amaze me that just as people seem to perceive that I am unaware of

my weight, and that they should do me the favor of reminding me, they also feel the need to

remind me of all the medical implications that come with being overweight. And there are risks

in obese pregnancy, higher rates of gestational diabetes and complications, often resulting in c-

section deliveries and premature babies.


I would never dispute the fact that my weight poses risks, just as it did before

pregnancy. But, I am more than aware of the risks, I am not ignorant to my situation. I also

know that I am healthier now than I have been in years. I quit smoking. I cut back on caffeine

and sugar. I get the sleep I used to deprive myself of. I have, for the first time in my life,

developed a relationship and trust with my doctor, and she assures me that so far (knock

on wood) my pregnancy is progressing wonderfully. I recently passed my glucose test (so no

diabetes) and have even been able to manage my weight gain during pregnancy. I know that

doesn’t mean that I have managed to win anything or accomplish some great feat, but it does

help reassure me that I am doing the best that I can for myself and my child, and that so far it is

working.


In pregnancy, one of the pieces of advice that everyone and their mother will hand you

is “You know what’s best for your body and baby,” and that is the honest truth. I know that

knowing my body and my baby won’t stop others from making me uncomfortable at times,

or irritating me with comments about my health and weight, but it does give me a way to

cope. Although, pregnancy in itself is annoying at times and being fat and pregnant is twice as

annoying (especially when shopping for maternity clothes….as if cute maternity clothes, and

cute plus size clothes aren’t hard enough to find…try finding cute plus size maternity clothes),

I still am content in my body and grow more and more infatuated with my growing belly on a

daily basis.

1 comment:

  1. Great post! When I was pregnant, the most annoying (and hurtful) thing people would say to me was "you know, a lot of heavier women lose weight when they get pregnant." Yeah. I didn't.

    ReplyDelete