Grounding the Fat Galaxy: Our Fat n' Proud Mission Statement

This blog is to document our journey down the path of body acceptance, no matter how our bodies may change. We hope to share that journey to help other people who may be struggling and to get advice from people who have been there. We hope to make this experience interactive, so please comment or send us things! We will always have awesome links at the side of our page. Please check those out!

Saturday, February 8, 2014

Student Saturday: WE'RE TEACHING STUDENTS NOW

Hello Readers! We have again decided to give you some life updates about the BB and WW. As you already know, both of us have been job searching and in the midst of moving madness. Here are our respective updates and insights about life! 

From the BB: 

Having just moved into my first apartment EVER just YESTERDAY, I am simultaneously thrilled, exhausted, and content. It already feels like home, and I am having such a great time decorating, organizing, and relaxing with my partner and new kitty. (But, as always, there is that twinge of apprehension when meeting the landlord, neighbors, and new people as I wonder what they think of my bigger body). I am excited to get out and explore the town as well, and see what kinds of local body positive culture I can find! 

In addition, I have now officially obtained a TEACHING POSITION! As my first paying education job, I have high hopes for myself and the students. Again, I cannot wait to explore the school, see what the students are like, and do my best as an educator. I look forward to classroom opportunities to discuss body positivity and really any issues of activism that students are interested in. (I am both prepared for and interested in awkward questions and/or comments about fat bodies). This is a temporary position, but I believe that the experience will help me in finding a more permanent one, and I am super excited to be starting out at a small school with small class sizes. I look forward to really getting to know my students! 

From the WW:

I recently was offered a job at a residential treatment center for teens near where I am currently living.  They happened to have an English position open, and it also just so happens that I found a posting on craigslist six hours after they posted it.  This was also on the evening of our very first life update.  I was so excited to receive the phone call!!!  This place will give me opportunities to be both an educator and an advocate for young people who need someone like that in their lives.  It will be a rough start.  I've been told multiple times that one of the top qualities of their teachers is a thick skin, because a part of the condition that most of these kids have compels them to attack figures of authority, both verbally and physically (though the latter is nowhere near common).  I feel as though they've stressed this so much partially because they can already find one weakness: my physical size.  Despite my confident assurances that I do have a thick skin, it doesn't seem to register that the thick skin also literally and figuratively encompasses my size.  I wish there was an easy way to just say, "Yes, I'm fat, and thanks for the concern, but I really don't need it."  I do not have any doubt that the kids will bring it up.  In fact, as my size is one of the first things that strangers will notice about me, I'd be surprised if they didn't, especially since a lot of them don't seem to have a filter.  I'm more nervous about remembering all of the little complicated things I'll have to remember to provide a safe, welcoming, and nurturing classroom.  But to wrap it up, I'm very excited about this opportunity.  This could be my job for the rest of my life, and if it does become that, I think I'll be a very lucky person.

In addition to our life updates, please enjoy this wonderful photo which again sums up all of the points on our blog, because even when we are giving readers updates on our personal lives, we are always feeling fat, proud, and beautiful: 

2 comments:

  1. To WW: Residential Treatment Centers can be a hard place for any professional. Remember to build relationships with the kids and you will be okay. They need to know that you are the responsive, trustworthy, and encouraging person that you are. Don't be afraid to say 'I'll remember that,' when a kid prods you, and leave them out of a fun activity until they can change their behavior and attitude. Silence is an acceptable response for a few moments, too (especially along with a funny look for the person you don't know how to respond to). I'll bet about half of the kids in your class will have ADHD, so be prepared for that. Having worked with some traumatized kids before, just know that you should never go home feeling bad about what you did that day at school. You are a brilliant professional who can really make change for the kids that would like to do something different, and if you need any tips, give me a call!

    So proud of you both!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the new jobs and all of the life changes in general. Being in a position of authority, especially one involving teaching, is quite the responsibility; it is also an awesome adventure and remarkably fulfilling. Good luck to you both.

    ReplyDelete