Grounding the Fat Galaxy: Our Fat n' Proud Mission Statement

This blog is to document our journey down the path of body acceptance, no matter how our bodies may change. We hope to share that journey to help other people who may be struggling and to get advice from people who have been there. We hope to make this experience interactive, so please comment or send us things! We will always have awesome links at the side of our page. Please check those out!

Thursday, November 6, 2014

Weight Talk is NOT Small Talk...especially in the Fat Galaxy

In the last couple of weeks, I’ve had some “compliments” about my body.  People I don’t know well are the people providing me with these morsels. 

Please do not compliment me if you think I’ve lost weight.

I understand that it is socially acceptable (more like encouraged) to be cheerleaders for those of us who carry a bit extra.  I understand that you’ve never even considered the possibility that I liked and that I miss that ten pounds that I lost. 

This is my PSA.  This is me, making you aware.

My body is safe.  As a fat woman, I am less often the target for unwanted sexual advances than my thin friends.  As a fat woman, I am less often sexualized by society and by those close to me.  As a fat woman, I am often overlooked in certain discussions and in certain groups of people.  Sure, being fat has its own dangers.  I am constantly aware of the space my body occupies and how much is left for those around me.  I am constantly aware of how my clothes are falling on my body.  I am constantly aware of my public food intake.  But these are discomforts that are comfortable to me.  I have grown accustomed to these thoughts and worries; this is auto-pilot for my brain.

Weight loss is dangerous.  It makes me visible to people I have never been noticed by before.  It throws off my measurements on occupied space.  It makes me unsure of how my clothes are fitting.  It makes me hyper-aware of what I am eating, taking me back to a dark place I never want to see again.  It makes me a stranger to my body.

After a year of maintaining approximately the same weight, it is frightening to hear someone ask if I’ve lost weight.  It reminds me of that old ache I would feel when I weighed myself every morning, the ache that tugged at my health and my sanity, the ache that reminded me it was never good enough.  You know, that ache that I can’t resist, even now.  There’s a reason I avoid the scales, and it isn’t because I’m ashamed of my body.  It is because I know my mind is fragile, even though I tell myself almost every day that it isn’t.  It is because I am barely holding onto the reigns of that ache which dominated my life.  I’ve managed to harness the control I once abused on my body and redirect it in more productive and less harmful activities.  I don’t want to let that control take its old position back.

I will almost always say “no” if you ask if I’ve lost weight because it is easier and it ends the conversation very quickly, which is ideal.  If I’m feeling sassy, I might respond with a simple, “That’s a personal question.”  You will never again hear me say, “Thanks” when you follow up with something like “well, you look great!” or “keep doing whatever you’re doing because it is obviously working!” because why should I?  I know I look good to me and I know that what I’m doing is working for me, and that my looks are not contingent on shrinking.  I would also prefer a comment on something not about my appearance, like maybe my attitude.  But if it has to be my appearance, at least compliment my t-shirt or shoes, which reflect my taste and not my personal struggles with my body.

Please be more mindful of this in the future.  Please do not automatically assume that people you don’t know well who appear to have lost weight have done so intentionally.  There are many reasons for a person to lose weight outside of aesthetics.  Perhaps this person needed to lose weight in order to get an important surgery.  Perhaps this person lost weight as a result of medication or an unhealthy eating habit, or even disorder.  Perhaps this person lost weight due to illness.  Perhaps this person is me, who is comfortable in her own skin and is frightened of losing that comfort. 

Regardless of the reason for the change, it is not any of your business if someone else has lost weight.  We do not have the authority to make judgments or criticisms about another person’s body.  We are not and should not ever be body police for each other.

It won’t hurt anyone if you don’t say anything, but there is always a possibility of doing some damage if you do.

-WW




No comments:

Post a Comment